Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Little About Logan

It's another night and I feel like I have stuff pent up in my brain. The problem is finding the plug to let some of it out. It's like I have been thinking about a million things and just plucking out one stream of ideas that make any sense seems too hard. So I'm just going to start pulling and see what comes out.

Logan is so me and it bugs the heck out of me sometimes. He has to know everything... for himself. If I tell him we are out of milk he has to go to the fridge and look himself. I keep telling myself it's not that he doesn't believe me it's that he just HAS to know for himslef. Deep breath and patience.

Logan is trying to help out and I have to let him. He starts the baths for both of them and I say "Thank you!" He gets me things when I need an extra pair of hands... and I say "Thank you!" He does things his way and his way is NOT my way. Deep breath and patience... say "Thank you!" He tries to do the laundry and uses too much soap, so I have to rinse the wash again. Oh shoot! I forgot to rinse the wash again!

He brushed his teeth by himself and added water to the toothpaste (it seemed almost empty) and the next day I barely squeezed and PLOP! out came all the toothpaste. "Thanks Logan!!!" He bagged the groceries at the store today while the cashier was still scanning and I had my hands full with Jaxon. He used a paper bag with no handles that was impossible to bring in with everything else I lug in when I get home. The bag ripped and he picked up everything that fell down the stairs. I said nothing but "Thank you!"

Logan told me today I say "Thank you!" too much. Go figure.

Logan has to tell EVERYONE that Daddy doesn't live with us. At Applebee's when I said "A table for three." he added "It would be four, but my daddy doesn't live with us anymore." Deep breath and patience.. "Thank you Logan, that's good math." Insert lame smile to the hostess.

The guy that helped me out with the groceries (wishing someone could help me get them upstairs to our apartment more than out to the car!) asked Logan what his brother's name was. Get ready for it... "That's Jaxon Archer, I'm Logan James, my mom is Jennifer Lea and my daddy is Alan James, but he doesn't live with us anymore." AWESOME! Now the guy has all our names and the intimate details of our personal lives. "Thank you Logan!"

OK I am starting to see why Logan thinks I say Thank you too much...

Logan is super smart and super sensitive. He is a mini-me and yup, it is so hard sometimes. He said he wanted to be famous so everyone would like him and no one at daycare would be mean to him. We discussed how famous people have too many people trying to be their friends. Then he asked if kids can become famous accidentaly. He's worried he will wake up and suddenly have a mob of fans that all want to play with him. He's worried he won't be able to play with them all and someone will get sad. Oh I can read between all those lines. I tried to be friends with older kids when I was little because I could understand them and keep up conversations with them. In the end though, bigger kids don't want to play with little kids and he gets his feelings hurt. He longs to be a teenager because he thinks they are so cool. Oh slow down little one and just be five for now. You only have a few more months of being five anyway.

I love watching his mind work. He asked me when he will be as tall as I am. I said probably by the 6th grade. I told him I haven't grown an inch since then. "Are you still a teenager????" I had to explain that although I keep getting older I don't get taller; that people stop growing at some point while they keep getting older. He seemed horrified and not sure if I wasn't still a teenager and just not telling him.

No one told me that having two kids would change how I feel about my first. Logan literally was "my baby" until the day Jax was born. Now he's my "big boy" and it was like someone took my heart and just split it in half and gave each half to each child. Or maybe my heart got twice as big and Jax just snuggled right in next to his brother. I love seeing them together. Jax looks up at Logan with awe and wonder and Logan thinks Jax is the cutest baby ever. I know the day will come when they fight and Logan will be the big kid or even the teenager that doesn't want to play with the little kid. But for now they just love each other as much as I love them and it's pretty awesome.

I really am a very lucky mommy.

1 comment:

  1. this is a great post! I have to say that Logan reminds me of my oldest... in a lot of ways. And my oldest is awesome! He is a super good kid. It is exhausting with all the questions and constantly being...kids! When Jax is old enough to play with logan it will be at least fewer questions... but maybe more arguing (with each other! and that is how they relate... it isn't always bad).

    I remember when my oldest was about Logan's age and my DH had a birthday in the 30s....My oldest went to the tables of everyone in this college cafe and said "My dad is 30!" to everyone! everyone!

    their mom and dad are the biggest deal in the world to them right now. period. you are a good mommy for being so gracious.

    You guys should come over and hang out for a bit... we could have an early dinner/lunch thing. Hang in there, mama!

    ReplyDelete