Monday, July 22, 2013

Pity Parties

This week I worked on telling the truth when asked about my husband. I was ready for the "What happened?" "I'm sorry." "Oh my, and how old are your kids?"

I wasn't ready for pity parties. 

I'm working on renovating the break room at my store. I will post photos... It's awful. Imagine 1992 exploded in a color scheme. What would you pick? How about Teal green and orange. M.C. Hammer had a pair of pants to match I know it.



I was at Michael's shopping for some art supplies. I'm going to attempt to paint an original La-Z-Boy art piece. Yeah, I'll post photos of that too once I start. I ran into Pam, the wife of my assistant manager. We said hi and she said she had heard I made a great dinner last night.

Sorry, wasn't me. That was Renee who had a party at her house for the whole store except me. They at least told me why I wasn't invited. One of the ladies that just retired wanted a small get together with them and she only really worked with me a total of about 10 days. I get it. 

So once Pam realized I wasn't Renee and I wasn't invited she moved onto a new subject. "How are we (Alan and I) enjoying Oregon?" Oh geez, this was going from bad to awkward in a heartbeat. I said I was still loving it. Wishing for more rain. I know, I'm crazy for rain. 

Then we talked about days off and she said she wished she had just one day off to herself at home. Here it is. The part that I couldn't skirt around. "You know what I mean? Do you have your days off with your husband?" 

Blah blah blah... spill my guts gently on the floor of Michael's. Skip to the unforeseen. 

"Oh, well do you have friends up here?" 

Ah... No.

"Oh I'm going to talk to Lee and have you over for dinner." It was sweet, nice and probably just what I need. But oh how it hurt. It was a pity invite. Sigh...

I at least made it to my car before the tears fell. I feel just like I did my senior year. People found out my mom died and suddenly I had all these invites to parties, dates and girls I kinda knew wanting to be better friends. I totally forgot about pity party invites. 

But hey I do need friends and free food is good. So I said sure...Sounds great... I smiled and let her give me some super extra discounts too. Yeah, I'm not above pity coupons either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment